Thursday, October 13, 2011

Interview with IAN TAI



CH: Why did you join Toastmasters?
IT: I was inspired by Tony Robbins. When I was 19, my uncle bought me a ticket to attend a 5-day Tony's workshop in Sydney, Australia. Tony was phenomenal and I left Sydney feeling as if I had a personal conversation with him. I was inspired by his amazing ability to share, teach, entertain and wow 5,000++ people in his workshop. Ability to do that is one of the coolest things on earth!

CH: Why did you choose Friendship and what do you like about it?
IT: Firstly, Friendship wows me in terms of the quality of speakers. I choose Friendship because I believe I can get help from the wonderful speakers here. 

Secondly, the atmosphere and ambience is perfect. It is grand and has a 'premium' look to it. 

Thirdly, Friendship members have a good command of English. More importantly, the members are friendly, helpful, dedicated and committed to become much better than whatever level they are at present. 

CH: How have your communication and leadership skills grown since joining Friendship?
IT: At first, I was nervous and fearful especially when it comes to impromptu speaking a.k.a Table Topics. My mind used to race at 100 miles per hour; I had brain jams; I stammered when talking about subjects that I was unfamiliar with. Today, I am able to have a cool head and express myself freely without being uptight in Table Topics. So, I can get my message across directly, calmly, confidently and efficiently.

Before Toastmasters, I was a messy and disorganized person. Becoming the Treasurer of the club helps me to become more organized - more neat and tidy. Yup, sounds like no big deal for some. But for me, small things like this is a big deal.

CH: How have these skills benefited you personally and professionally?
IT: I presented a pre-launch event for my book "Silver" in KLCC's Popular BookFest on 30th August. I was able to focus on sharing my thoughts and educating the public about the potentials of investing in silver without having to fear about forgetting my lines, about stage fright, etc. As a result, the event turned out to be successful with people keen to get a copy of my book.

CH: What are your goals in Toastmasters?
IT: My goals are .... (That's a trick question, Chee Hoe... very smart of you!)
Just kidding, at this moment, I am working on learning the basics of public speaking and my goals and objectives are based on the communication manual from Toastmasters International. For example, in my next speech, I would like to make people laugh. So, if I can make people laugh hysterically, then I have achieved my objective.

CH: What is your favourite session in a Toastmasters meeting?
IT: Table Topics because I want to develop the ability to express myself freely in front of a crowd. I also like the Evaluation Session because every person who wants to improve needs feedback and evaluation.

CH: What is your secret of success as an author at such a young age?
IT: Generally, an enterprising spirit, unshakable believe system, dog-determination; willing to think outside the box, willing to be outstanding; Just-Do-It, not afraid of making mistakes. And specifically, as a finance and investment book author, there are 3 steps: Firstly, research, research and more research. Secondly, to be Direct. Show the readers where the money is. Thirdly, make it easy. Keep it simple but not too simple until it fails to challenge the reader's intelligence.

No comments: